Heritage Park Buildings
Visit Heritage Park at 201 Cullum Drive in Euless, TX. Tours are free on the second Saturday of every month from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Group tours can be scheduled on a different day depending on staff availability. For more information call 817-685-1649.
The Fuller House
Providing a charming glimpse into the décor and lifestyle of the 1930s and 1940s, the Fuller House is a historical Euless landmark as the community’s first brick house and now a museum. Visitors may view displays about the city’s history as well as unique documents, artifacts and memorabilia. The house was saved from destruction, then faithfully restored and furnished.
Homer Fuller, who built the house, was a member of a pioneer family, prosperous businessman and one-time Mayor. His grandfather, W. N. M. “Mood” Fuller, migrated to Texas from Coffee County, Tennessee, in 1878, following the same route of several brothers and other early Euless settler. Accompanying Mood were his wife, Mary Amanda (Keeling) Fuller, and several children including Homer’s father, J. R. Mood and J. R. each purchased large farms in Euless and quickly became leaders in their new community.
Born in 1900 to J. R. and his second wife, Fannie (Blessing) Fuller, Homer grew up in a large family. In 1920 he married Edith Taylor. In 1926 they opened a retail grocery business in a small frame building at the southeast corner of present Euless Blvd. and Main St., located where Taco Bell restaurant is today. His brother, Warren Fuller, soon joined the prospering business. Over time, the grocery building was remodeled, expanded and rebuilt. In addition to groceries, the Fullers also sold hardware, clothing and other necessities for people in a farming community. Besides general agriculture, many people in Euless developed a large trade in selling dairy supplies, from cattle feed to milking machines. Fuller Bros., commonly called “the Store” by the local citizenry, developed into a community center where people could shop and catch up on local news and gossip. Even during the Great Depression, the Fuller brothers’ business prospered.
In 1932, Homer and Edith built a new home in the 100 block of East Euless Blvd., next door to the grocery, at a cost of $3,200. Its distinctive tan brick veneer was typical of fine homes of the 1920s and 1930s. A particularly notable feature of the one- and one-half story structure is the graceful arcades of the entry porch under a cross-gable roof. The home was the setting for many pleasant family and community gatherings. Homer and Edith’s children, Iva, Bill and Bob, grew up in the house. Iva exchanged wedding vows with Robert Nail in front of the fireplace.
Robert joined the grocery business, which then became “Fuller Brothers and Nail.” In 1949 a post office for Euless was opened in the store with Robert serving as postmaster, a position he held until 1980. Homer served as Euless mayor from 1951 to 1953. The business was sold in 1955, and Homer and Edith moved from their tan brick house. After the family sold the property in the mid-1970s, the house fell into disrepair.
The house was saved, thanks to much hard work and the cooperation and financial support of the City of Euless, Taco Bell, Saebit Baptist Church, the Fuller family and many dedicated citizens. The property had been bought by the Saebit Baptist Church, which wanted to erect a church building. The church sold part of the property to Taco Bell for a restaurant. When the house was scheduled for destruction, the Euless Historical Preservation Committee garnered support to save it. The house had to be moved from the site. Each brick was carefully removed, and the house’s frame interior moved to Heritage Park on Cullum Drive in 1994, where it was placed next to the Ruth Millican Center. The house was carefully restored and the original brick replaced. Furnishings from the 1930s and 1940s, including original pieces donated by the Fuller family, have been placed in the restored house.
Opened to the public in 1998, the Fuller House is a focal point for historical artifacts, photographs and other records from the City’s past. As the City’s Museum, the City of Euless and the Historical Preservation Committee are proud to provide free tours of the facility for the citizens of Euless.
Himes Log House
The Himes Log House, among the oldest structures in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, is located in Heritage Park, Euless, Texas. Built in the 1850s, it is also the oldest surviving structure in the City of Euless. It was originally located on historic land in the center of Euless at 403 Himes Drive. Named for Andrew Jackson “Andy” Himes who purchased it in 1888 and lived in it until his death in 1926, the house honors the memory of him and his descendants who owned it until 2000 when it was donated to the City.
The house sat near the center of North Main St., West Harwood Rd., North Industrial Blvd. and West Airport Frwy. /Huffman Dr. /West Colony, a name commonly applied to a North Texas land grant created by the Republic of Texas in 1841 to encourage settlement. A land certificate was issued to Halford in 1850. He sold the certificate to James M. Cummings in 1853, who patented the property in 1854. Since a patent, or title, to property was not issued until a person had made improvements on it and lived there three years, it is likely that the house was built in 1851. It is not known who actually built the house, but it was probably Halford or Cummings. While the present Himes House cannot be positively identified as the 1851 house, there are indications that they are the same. Construction materials and techniques indicate that the Himes Log House dates from that time period.
By 1867, J. A. Jasper owned the property. That year he sold 250 acres to Mary Ann Whitson Trigg, well-to-do widow of William Hayden Trigg. She, with several children and bachelor Elisha Adam Euless (and perhaps others), migrated to Tarrant County from Bedford County, Tennessee, in 1867. The Trigg family probably lived in the log house. Mary Ann Trigg, perhaps more than any other person, deserves credit as the founder of the City of Euless; at least, she should be recognized as the “Mother of Euless.” A cotton gin was built between present Huffman Dr. and Airport Freeway on the southern part of her property, probably by her son, Daniel C. “Tuck” Trigg, Jr. It was known as Tuck Trigg’s Gin, since he operated it for several years. In 1877, a Grange Hall was built on the eastern edge of her property on present North Main St.
In 1870, Mary’s daughter, Judy Ann Trigg, married Elisha Adam Euless, who purchased the gin property and the log house in 1879 and the Grange Hall property in 1881. Adam and Judy Euless almost certainly lived in the log house. The community that grew at the site came to be known as Euless. Adam Euless was a nephew of Weldon Wiles Bobo, another native of Bedford County, Tennessee, and founder of a nearby community that was named Bedford in 1877.
In 1888, Andy Himes purchased 100 acres from Adam and Judy Euless, including the log house. Born in 1847 in Bedford County, TN, Andy Himes migrated to Texas after 1870. In Tennessee, he and his family had been neighbors of the Bobo and Euless families, as well as the Trigg, Cannon, Blessing, Green, Barton, Haley and other Bedford County families who settled at Bedford and Euless, Texas. Among other settlers in the Euless area were the Fuller, Huffman, Redden, Whitener, Jernigan and Wiser families, who had lived in Coffee County, Tennessee, near the Bedford County line.
Andy Himes married Sara Meady Andleton. The date and place of their marriage are not known. According to family tradition, by 1883 Andy was in Dallas County, where he purchased ten acres of land.
In 1886, Andy and Meady sold five acres of their property. Then they sold the other five acres to Adam and Judy Euless on June 6, 1888, for $2,000. Two days earlier, according to deed records, they had purchased the Tarrant County property from Adam and Judy for $2,000. According to a Himes family story, which differs only slightly in details from the county records, Andy “traded” ten acres in Dallas, plus $500, for the farm in Euless.
According to another Himes family tradition, when Andy bought the Euless property in 1888, he built the log house and the family moved there. But an expert on the restoration of historic buildings estimates that it was built considerably earlier. According to Bill Marquis, owner of Marquis Construction & Restoration of Ponder, Texas, who moved and restored the Himes House in 2000, it was probably built in the 1850s. Hence, it is almost certain that someone before Andy Himes built the house and lived there, and that he then bought it and added to it. It is probable that Mary Ann Trigg with her family and then the Adam Euless family lived there for a while, since they owned the property from 1867 to 1888.
The log house was typical for the time and place. Euless was located in the Eastern Cross Timbers, a heavily wooded strip of sandy and loamy land in eastern Tarrant County. Especially prevalent were large oak trees that furnished excellent logs for buildings, firewood, farm tools and household furnishings. Large trees were felled on the spot and hand hewn to construct the 20-by-18-foot single room with a solid log floor. Dovetail corner notching was typical of 1850s construction methods. Cracks between the logs in the walls were chinked, that is, filled with a mortar made of clay and straw. Over a thousand wood pegs, not nails, were used in construction. In addition to front and back doors, there were a few openings for windows that could be closed only with wood shutters. Glass window panes were added only later. The house included gun ports that could be used when inhabitants feared attack in the sparsely populated frontier country. Above the room was a sleeping loft for the children of the family. It was reached by a narrow stairway. The downstairs room was filled with a few simple household furnishings, such as a table or two, some chairs and a wood frame rope bed with corn shuck mattress. The house was heated from a fireplace; there was no indoor plumbing. Plenty of firewood was available from the trees all around, however, and a water well was dug in the front yard. Thus, the house was adequate for a family and reasonably comfortable for its time.
After purchasing the log house in 1888, Andy Himes added more rooms, using milled lumber, even covering the logs. Andy and his family farmed the sandy land, producing good crops, as did most of their neighbors. Most farmers grew fruit and vegetables, cotton and corn, and kept dairy cattle, hogs and chickens. Andy and some others also kept geese.
Meady Himes died in 1897, and Andy’s older sister, Mary Himes Nichols, soon moved in with the family. In 1912, Emmitt married Myrtle Elizabeth Nobles. The newly married couple lived in the house with his father and aunt, Mary. Emmitt and Myrtle’s first child, Thomas Andrew, was born in 1913.
When Andy died in 1926, Emmitt purchased the property from his brothers and sisters. Emmitt and Myrtle lived there until her death in 1966 and his in 1974. Andrew married Evelyn Whitener in 1941. When Andrew died in 1991, their daughter, Shirley Himes Melson, inherited the house and land.
Although a few long-time residents of Euless had always known about the log room within the Himes house, the City of Euless Historical Preservation Committee became aware of it in 1997. Realizing the historical significance of the structure, the Committee decided that it should be preserved and restored. Shirley Melson offered to donate it to the City. Euless accepted the proposal, appropriating $44,000 to move and restore it and another $5,000 to furnish it. The project, supervised by Bill Marquis, took almost a year to complete. The house was faithfully restored in most details to its 1850s condition, even to the clay and straw chinking. About 1,100 wood pegs were carved for the reconstruction. A chimney, typical for the times, was added, construction of small logs and fireproofed with 80 wheelbarrow loads of clay. A metal canopy, costing $14,000, was built over the restored house to protect it from the elements.
The reconstructed Himes Log House was officially opened and dedicated on December 9, 2000. The City of Euless Parks and Community Services Department maintains the house, and members of the Historical Preservation Committee staff it.
The Himes Log House, probably built in 1851, is the oldest structure in Euless and one of the oldest in Tarrant County. It was likely the residence of Adam Euless, who gave his name to the City of Euless, and of his mother-in-law, Mary Ann Trigg, who deserves credit as the real founder of the city. Various members of the Himes family owned it for more than a century. The house today stands as a tribute to them and to everyone who had a role in preserving and restoring it.
*The following description is from handwritten notes given to the City of Euless by Mrs. Willie Mae McCormick (W.W. “Mc” McCormick’s wife) dated January 11, 2005.
After WWI ended, Camp Bowie was closed. The barracks were torn down and the U.S. Army gave the lumber to the citizens if they would haul it off. Walter Lee McCormick (Sr.), “Mc’s” dad, responded and hauled with a wagon and team enough lumber to build the barn. He built the barn himself and finished it some time in 1919. No doubt to him it was beautiful and useful. He had said he needed a barn badly since bringing his family to the home in 1900. He now had a real barn to store his tools and produce. Hay was stored in the loft and could be thrown out the door, but getting into the loft was quite a chore. The slats to climb up were just inside the hall. A hole was cut in the ceiling to get into the loft and a make-shift door was made to push or pull over the hole.
Mr. McCormick (Sr.) got to enjoy the barn only a few years, when circumstances required them to move back to Bangs, near Santa Anna, TX. His wife died in 1925 and the place was given to “Mc” and his brother. They rented the place out. The renters used the barn for the same purpose as previously until in the 1930’s.
I don’t know when the north shed of the barn was built. “Mc” didn’t think it was built when the main part was built. “Mc” brought me here once before we were married in 1929, and the shed was there then.
In the 30’s small dairies began operating in the area. The renters got permission to make some minor changes to the barn so that it could be used in the dairy business. I think the hall was changed somewhat and stalls added.
In 1948 we moved down here and as you can see the barn was desperately in need of repair. “Tubby” Huffman (Henry Murray Huffman) repaired the barn and built the south shed. We had cattle and hogs for several years; so we bought corn and hay in the summer and stored them in barn and loft. “Mc” was gone a great deal of the time with his job so Elizabeth (Mr. and Mrs. McCormick’s daughter) and I had to feed the livestock. It was difficult to get up in that loft and throw out the hay so we had the stairs built on the outside to make it easy for us to get in to the loft. There was no trouble rolling the hay out once we got in to the loft.
We got rid of all the livestock quite a few years ago and since then the barn was used only to store various things like lawn mowers and stuff for the family.
Mrs. McCormick donated the barn to the citizens of Euless and it was moved to Heritage Park in the summer of 2005. Bill Marquis, an expert in the art of restoration, was hired to restore the barn to its original state using authentic period-style materials and construction methods.