Smoke alarms are one of the most important fire safety devices you can install to protect your family in case of a fire. When smoke alarms are properly installed, occupants are given an early warning to exit the house during a fire. Recent studies indicate that a working smoke alarm can cut the risk of dying in a fire in half.
With new construction methods and different types of furnishings using more synthetic materials, residential structure fires move faster than any time in our history. One smoke alarm is not enough to adequately protect your home. We recommend installing a smoke alarm inside every bedroom and in the hall adjacent to the bedrooms.
Please call 817-685-1600 to request a fire department representative to come visit your home and evaluate your smoke alarms.
If you cannot afford to purchase smoke alarms for your home, we may be able to install them for you free of charge.
Important Smoke Alarm Tips:
- Test smoke alarms at least once a month to make sure they work properly
- Replace batteries at least once a year
- Keep extra batteries on hand in case the smoke alarm stats to chirp
- Replace all smoke alarms when they are 10 years old
- Never disable or remove a smoke alarm